[WikiEN-l] Another "BADSITES" controversy

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Fri Jun 1 03:39:38 UTC 2007

On 31 May 2007 at 11:16:14 +0100, "David Gerard" <dgerard at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 31/05/07, Michael Snow <wikipedia at att.net> wrote:
> > Just to keep the facts straight, the link in question was not a link to
> > Wikipedia Review. I know Sheldon has mentioned the possibility of such
> > links in discussion of hypotheticals, but I don't recall that The
> > Wikipedia Signpost has ever linked to Wikipedia Review.
>
> Right. So what was the reasoning given for the repeated removal of the
> non-WR link?

That it was to a site (Brandt's site, being discussed in that
article) that had in the past hosted personal information about
Wikipedia editors, and might again in the future (although it didn't
actually have such information at the time).  So they changed the
article so it still *discussed* the site, but didn't actually link to
it.  Brandt then retaliated by adding the personal info page back to
his site, meaning that this link removal actually increased the
amount of editor "outing" on the Internet.  (He later took the page
back down again, but is threatening to put it up yet again, though
this time he apparently only wants to "out" admins, not regular
editors.)

--
== Dan ==