[WikiEN-l] Jimbo on "reliable sources"

Gabe Johnson gjzilla at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 00:56:14 UTC 2007

On 5/30/07, SonOfYoungwood at aol.com <SonOfYoungwood at aol.com> wrote:
> Later on in the article, Jimbo also says something that me and several
> others, such as the rest of the Final Fantasy WikiProject and  User:Seraphimblade,
> have been advocating:
>
> "[Wikia] is not Wikipedia, right. It's my new organization with a  completely
> separate website. Basically part of the way we're framing it  is that
> Wikipedia is the encyclopedia and Wikia is all the rest of the library. So it's
> anything people want to collaborate on."
>
> I urge people to encourage the transwiki of cruft. Cruft isn't things  like
> articles on games or the entire cast as a whole; by cruft, I mean  lists of
> weapons, armor, locations, and other stuff that goes into  excessive detail and
> does not have a chance to balance in-universe with  out-of-universe. The Final
> Fantasy WikiProject has been doing it for a  while, and we're moving right
> along. Granted, this is off the topic of "reliable  sources", but it's still a
> good point.

Honestly, for me to support the transwiki of "cruft" the Wikia are
going to have to be integrated a lot tighter with WP. I have no
problem with spinning it off, but we can't let the plot summaries,
etc. that people value Wikipedia for be lost. On some random internet
thread about Wikipedia, people were complaining that Wikipedia is
becoming just like a dead tree encyclopedia and abandoning the plot
summaries in the name of "contextualizing the work." Which is
prossibly what we want, but you have to have the other stuff _very_
easily accessible. Not as in one external link to the Wikia at the
bottom of the article, as in our links to spun-off articles at the top
of a section dealing with that facet of the topic. ~~~~

--
Absolute Power
C^7rr8p£5 ab£$^u7£%y