No subject

Sun Jul 1 19:24:19 UTC 2007

> And considering of 1000 admins what fraction are active on most
> policy pages (50 at most?) 2 isn't a non-trivial amount.

2 *non*-admins. Out of many thousands of editors.

> Keep in mind that I'm
> not arguing that there was a majority for it, merely that there were
> people who
> were established editors who didn't see it as a strawman.

Yes, it fooled a number of people. It seems to me it fooled far more
people on the anti-BADSITES side than on the pro; the former have
certainly gotten vastly more mileage out of it.

> >> What do you mean? David Gerard and others have had no problem
> >> discussing this.
> >
> > Because no-one is going to accusing David of being a Communist, err,
> > BADSITES supporter.
>
> Um, what? Is this some sort of claim that BADSITES proponents are being
> Mcarthied? Forgive me if I don't see much evidence for that claim.

I don't think you would be particularly sensitive to it, given your
own feelings on the matter.

> >> And frankly, who made a policy has nothing to do with whether or not it is a
> >> good idea. Daniel Brandt could say "1+1=2" and the fact that it came from
> >> Brandt would have nothing to do with whether or not the statement is true.
> >
> > It's a bad idea to have sockpuppets of banned editors writing our
> > policies; that should be common sense, I would think.
>
> Yes, but if a user is banned happens to propose a kerner of a good idea
> there's
> no need to reject it based on the who it came from.

But it wasn't proposing a kernel of a good idea, it was dozens of
edits to create a policy.

> (And point of fact PM is
> not a sockpuppet of a banned user so...)

User:BenB4 was, and he created the page, and was by far the single
largest contributor to the page, so...

As for PM, that's only a technicality; he was a sockpuppet, and only
unbanned so he could participate in an ArbCom case about his banning.