[WikiEN-l] Blocking for article pages only?

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Tue Jul 31 16:38:49 UTC 2007

In thinking about the recent Hasbara Fellowships situation, it reminds
me of previous situations where we've made summary blocks, like the US
Congress IPs. I'm wondering if we could use another tool in our toolbox:
the ability to ban people from articles only, while letting them
contribute normally to article talk and other pages. Here's why:

Wikipedia is becoming a bigger and bigger target for people with strong
points of view. A lot of these are people with conflicts of interest,
and another big segment is those engaged in political battles. Turned
loose on the encyclopedia, they could (and would) substantially harm our
NPOV goal.

Right now, we have two options to deal with them. One is to trust that
our system is robust enough to keep POVs roughly balanced. The other is
to just ban people outright from participation, temporarily or
permanently.  For these strong POV types, I don't see either one of
those as a great solution.

Even when we can distill POV contributions into NPOV articles, POV
pushers are wearying. Blocking them can help, but it gives them an
incentive to pop up elsewhere, leading to sock-puppet hunts and a lot of
admin whack-a-mole. More importantly, it deprives us of their help in
providing references and in spotting POV distortion from others.

Would it be worth creating a new, more limited kind of block, where they
are just forbidden to touch main-space article pages? If they were
complete jerks, we could still use a normal block, of course. But
creating the softer option of semi-protection worked well, and I'm
thinking a softer kind of block would be a similar step forward.

William

--
William Pietri <william at scissor.com>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:William_Pietri