[WikiEN-l] Self-censorship, how far should it go?

Sheldon Rampton sheldon at prwatch.org
Sun Jul 29 17:23:41 UTC 2007

Rather than discuss the merits of this particular "outing," I think
it would be more productive to discuss ways of encouraging people to
edit under their own names rather than anonymously.

I realize that some people have legitimate reasons for preferring to
remain anonymous. Maybe they live under a repressive government.
Maybe they do some of their editing at work and don't want to get in
trouble with their boss. I don't have any quarrel with *allowing*
people to be anonymous. Most people, however, might as well edit
under their own name, and if Wikipedia could find a way encourage
this, it would cut down on some of the trolling and flame wars.
(People are more likely to be on their best behavior when their own
name and reputation is attached to what they do.)