[WikiEN-l] Fringecruft piles up

Phil Sandifer Snowspinner at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 20:10:46 UTC 2007

On Jul 26, 2007, at 1:57 PM, Brock Weller wrote:

> I was looking at the RFK article, got to the article on his
> assination (
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_F._Kennedy_assassination) and
> in the
> process of doing some minor cleanup became astounded by the amount
> of cruft
> in this article. Fully half of it is various conspiracy theories,
> badly
> presented in varying manners, none of which comply with our
> standard format
> and style guidelines, overstating proof and presenting opinion as fact
> ['television program on the Robert Kennedy case entitled
> "Conspiracy Test:
> The RFK Assassination<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?
> title=Conspiracy_Test:_The_RFK_Assassination&action=edit>,"
> which provides powerful scientific evidence that Sirhan
> Sirhan<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirhan_Sirhan>did not act
> alone.'], and worse, it's spreading. The Sirhan Sirhan article (
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirhan_Sirhan) is swelling with
> fringecruft as
> well, a third of that article devoted to conspiracy theories. We
> have a
> full, extremely large page devoted to 9/11 conspiracy theories, all
> of which
> have been rather fully debunked.
>
> Are articles with large kook sections an artifact of coverage, the
> more
> literate 'pedia editors avoid them knowing their bunk and hence
> dont get
> much cleanup, or are they being claimed by 'true believers' to box out
> everyone else?

If my "favorite" fringecruft article, [[2004 United States
presidential election controversy and irregularities]] (with 8 sub-
articles!), is any indication, it's the latter - a complete cesspool
of hardcore anti-Bushies who are hell-bent on including any scrap of
news that comes their way. I've twice tried to give these articles a
thorough cleansing, but it's more or less no use. Maybe I'll go back
through and see if I can BLP them to oblivion.

-Phil