[WikiEN-l] Metapedia - worse than Conservapedia

Oskar Sigvardsson oskarsigvardsson at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 02:22:04 UTC 2007

On 7/25/07, Brian Salter-Duke <b_duke at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> I was beginning to wonder whether the whole thing is a spoof, a kind of
> odd Swedish humour. After reading that page, I am even more convinced it
> is.

As the resident swede on the list I would like to point out that we
aren't that funny. That page is probably a joke, but don't think for a
second that there aren't people thinking those things.

This is exactly the brand of lunatics that we get here, and
unfortunately they are getting more popular. In the recent (well, it
was in september last year) election here a party called the "Sweden
Democrats" got an alarmingly high number of votes. They didn't break
the 4% barrier needed to be included in the parliament, but they got a
significant percentage (almost 3%, if I recall) meaning that they will
receive funding from the state to support their party for the next for
years and money for their campaign in 2010. They also got positions in
a number of municipal boards. They are the slightly less insane
version of the Metapedia people, calling for a basically a total ban
on immigration and the public beating of anyone daring to go near a
Mosque. They are absolute scum, I wouldn't wipe my boots on anything
they touch.

Different places in the world has different pathologies when it comes
to these people. In America, they might be redneck yahoos who think
Brown v. Board of Education was bad thing, here they tend to be
faux-intellectuals who try to use Europe (and Sweden, in our case) as
some beacon of light when they really just hate people with dark skin.

These are the things that a free society have to deal with.
Fortunately, the Sweden Democrats are by far the most hated non-fringe
party in Sweden, almost 70% of people actively despise them. In the
end, reason will prevail.

--Oskar