[WikiEN-l] MediaBistro advising clients to edit their own pages on Wikipedia?

C.J. Croy cjcroy at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 12:38:21 UTC 2007

On 7/19/07, admnyc <admspam at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sorry if this is the wrong place for this. I noticed the issue this morning
> and was wondering if anyone had an opinion about it.

Someone will probably point you to the Conflict of Interest
Noticeboard, [[WP:COIN]].

I haven't watched the video, but I personally don't have a problem
with the idea.  We're, collectively, way too touchy about conflicts of
interest.  If the folks behind Michael's or the Waverly Inn want to
add articles on their restaurants to Wikipedia, I'm certainly not
going to try and stop them.  Worst case scenario, they'll write an
overly positive article about a notable subject.

They're also probably right about proactive solutions to Seigenthalish
problems.  I haven't done a systemic study, but I've noticed that the
better the article, the less vandalism it tends to get.  Vandalism
also tends to get caught and reverted faster on good articles because
it stands out more.

-Chris Croy