[WikiEN-l] Fair use redux; the second coming of hell; Are we a free content or aren't we?

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 19:01:30 UTC 2007

On  0, quiddity <blanketfort at gmail.com> scribbled:
> I've read through these 2 threads again, and I think Durin's initial
> post (http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikien-l/2007-July/077358.html)
> and George Herbert's reply
> (http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikien-l/2007-July/077966.html)
> are excellent summations of the issue.
>
> (I'm a reductionist by nature, so, to synopsize even further...)
> This seems to be a fundamental disagreement between 2 philosophies:
> *The "open-content-first" folks (idealists), and the immediatists
> (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Immediatism)
> and
> *The "encyclopedia-first" folks (utilitarians?), and the eventualists
> (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Eventualism)
>
> Does that sound about right?
>
> Quiddity

Not quite. There are some independent axes I think here; for example, 'encyclopedia-first'/'free-content-first' is independent of eventualism/immediatism since you can construct an eventualist argument for both getting rid of and keeping free content (ex. "There's no need to delete that fair use photo of the subject; I'm sure someone will come along eventually with a Free picture we can replace it with.")

--
gwern
mania 701 CTP CATO Phon-e Chicago Posse NSDM