[WikiEN-l] Fair use redux; the second coming of hell; Are we a free content or aren't we?

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 10:46:53 UTC 2007

On 7/21/07, quiddity <blanketfort at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've read through these 2 threads again, and I think Durin's initial
> post (http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikien-l/2007-July/077358.html)
> and George Herbert's reply
> (http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikien-l/2007-July/077966.html)
> are excellent summations of the issue.
>
> (I'm a reductionist by nature, so, to synopsize even further...)
> This seems to be a fundamental disagreement between 2 philosophies:
> *The "open-content-first" folks (idealists), and the immediatists
> (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Immediatism)
> and
> *The "encyclopedia-first" folks (utilitarians?), and the eventualists
> (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Eventualism)
>
> Does that sound about right?

Sadly not quite.

There are eventualists who want us to be *eventually* strictly open
content, and eventualists who don't really care as long as we are
eventually a quality encyclopaedia, under what ever IP Regime.

There are also people who are in an unsconcionable hurry to make sure
nothing that is of low quality *at the moment* remain on wikipedia,
but who don't really
register IP issues on their radar.

I don't really don't think you can make a case for such alignments.
Wikiphilosophical attitudes are very much pick and choose. You won't
be able to make "two parties" of wikipedians no matter how hard you
try to massage the statistics.