[WikiEN-l] Vidipedia, the video encyclopedia anyone can edit

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Fri Jul 20 14:54:58 UTC 2007

> On 7/19/07, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> > http://www.vidipedia.org/Vidipedia_FAQ
> >
> > Lots of stuff comes directly from Wikipedia, and quite a lot of the
> > pages were just cut'n'pasted over and are in need of fixing ... but
> > hmm, interesting.
> >
> > I wonder if they'll do much toward making video editable. Imagine how
> > far Wikipedia wouldn't have gotten if every edit was a PDF of a scan
>
> Well .. images are about as editable as video could ever hope to be..
> and we seldom see cooperative editing for raster images.

Video is much more potentially editable than static images.  Consider
a 5 minute mini-documentary on [[Hurricane Katrina]], slide-show
style, with narration taken straight from the text of the Wikipedia
article and images taken from commons to match the narration.  There
is a *lot* of potential for cooperative editing there, basically as
much or more than the text of a Wikipedia article.

The idea is probably ahead of its time, though, because AFAIK there
aren't any free (even as in beer) software tools to make such video
editing easy, let alone collaborative.

Anthony