[WikiEN-l] When did RfD Become Toxic?

Charlotte Webb charlottethewebb at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 07:54:53 UTC 2007

On 7/19/07, Phil Sandifer <Snowspinner at gmail.com> wrote:
> Seriously. People are nominating perfectly sane if misguided
> redirects for deletion because no articles use them. Things like
> [[Cammy (Street Fighter)]] are up because there's no other Cammy
> articles. Which is fine, but someone who doesn't know that and is
> trying to guess our naming conventions could type in. Similarly, we
> have people seriously suggesting that [[The Twilight Zone (pinball)]]
> is not a reasonable redirect for [[Twilight Zone (pinball)]].

These are the same people who also see nothing wrong with doing a
"merge and delete" with every duplicate article that pops up where a
preventative redirect should have been.

I had a long discussion with one of them, who ended up saying
something like "only the correct title should appear in the results of
[[Special:Search]]".

I told him that was complete B.S. because if we even half of the
redirects and disambiguation pages that we should have, nobody would
ever see the "Special:Search" screen unless they are intentionally
using that feature (even with database dumps and, of course, Google
available -- hello!).

Judging by the titles you mentioned I would say the idiots you are
dealing with on RFD are probably there because somebody told them they
were too stupid for AFD (but they still need to meet a certain quota
of project-space edits).

—C.W.