[WikiEN-l] When did RfD Become Toxic?

Phil Sandifer Snowspinner at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 04:34:42 UTC 2007

Can anyone quickly get me up to speed on when Redirects for
Deletion... sorry. Redirects for "discussion" became a toxic hellhole
of idiocy that makes the rest of our deletion procedures look sane?

Seriously. People are nominating perfectly sane if misguided
redirects for deletion because no articles use them. Things like
[[Cammy (Street Fighter)]] are up because there's no other Cammy
articles. Which is fine, but someone who doesn't know that and is
trying to guess our naming conventions could type in. Similarly, we
have people seriously suggesting that [[The Twilight Zone (pinball)]]
is not a reasonable redirect for [[Twilight Zone (pinball)]].

Seriously. When did we begin purging redirects, which are possibly
the most harmless thing imaginable on Wikipedia. These are not
offensive or POV redirects. They're sensible things that people might
well guess when trying to type in an article name.

-Phil