[WikiEN-l] Vidipedia, the video encyclopedia anyone can edit

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 21:05:41 UTC 2007

> http://www.vidipedia.org/Vidipedia_FAQ
>
> Lots of stuff comes directly from Wikipedia, and quite a lot of the
> pages were just cut'n'pasted over and are in need of fixing ... but
> hmm, interesting.
>
> I wonder if they'll do much toward making video editable. Imagine how
> far Wikipedia wouldn't have gotten if every edit was a PDF of a scan

Well .. images are about as editable as video could ever hope to be..
and we seldom see cooperative editing for raster images.

SVGs are much much better in this regard that we could expect video to
become we only see a fairly limited amount of cooperative editing
compared to text.

Interested people can see most of our own videos here:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Video

Right now our upload size limits are a major limitation for us. As
well as the lack of good user education... and the pure difficulty in
producing professional quality videos which remains even when you have
the right equipment. etc..

It seems like the site is focusing on cooperative submission and
cooperative classification rather than cooperative editing... which is
probably the right approach for video for the foreseeable future.

I expect to see an upswing in videos submitted as more people realize
that there is a lot of opportunity to submit videos of simple things
that have no video at all. Today still photography on Wikipedia can be
a challenge because most of the easy and obviously things are already
done well. Thats not yet true of video.