[WikiEN-l] Proposed {{prod}} for articles with no sources

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Wed Jul 18 16:01:47 UTC 2007

Jossi Fresco wrote:
> Please see:
> [[Wikipedia:Requests for verification]]
>
> http://tinyurl.com/ypmy36
>
> A proposal designed as a process similar to {{prod}} to delete
> articles without sources if no sources are provided in 30 days.

I've already registered my disapproval on this list and on the talk
page, but I guess I might as well do it again since there's a new thread.

IMO this is a bad idea. It's going to result in bad references being
inserted simply to stave off deletion, it's going to result in good
articles being deleted because nobody happened to be paying attention at
the particular moment they were marked for deletion or because a library
is required for sourcing, and it's going to result in people (such as
myself) avoiding using {{fact}} or {{unreferenced}} tags because it'd
draw unwanted consequences. When I put {{fact}} on something it's
because I'd like to see a reference added, not because I want the
article deleted.

Why is there this need for a hard and fast deadline? Wikipedia's been
doing fine without one, it's got plenty of heavily-referenced articles
already.