[WikiEN-l] Proposed {{prod}} for articles with no sources

John Lee johnleemk at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 12:45:04 UTC 2007

On 7/18/07, Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 18/07/07, John Lee <johnleemk at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > So I take out the claims, slap a prod tag on it, and let it be. To my
> > > delight, this has been mostly successful - only two or three got
> > > reverted with whiny edit summaries, and one of them got taken to AFD
> > > and deleted anyway (on the grounds that we really, really aren't a sex
> > > offenders registry). I strongly feel the encyclopedia was
> > > substantially better for doing this, and isn't that the point?
> >
> > Absolutely. What I'm afraid of is that this process/PROD will end up
> being
> > used on articles like [[Demographics of Latvia]] simply because there
> are
> > far too many idiot gold farmers out there.
>
> Mmm. I don't think we need a new formal process for this - but I do
> think the existing expansion of PROD into "put up or shut up" is
> occasionally necessary.

Yep. My main fear is that this process becomes a haven for goldfarmers who
want to rack up their edit/delete/tag count without reading the articles.
The last thing we ought to be encouraging is a templated mechanical process
that does not look at the individual circumstances of every article.

Johnleemk