[WikiEN-l] helping access Wikipedia from censored connections

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 17:47:23 UTC 2007

[For some reason, I forgot to send this at the time...]

On 02/07/07, Bennett Haselton <bennett at peacefire.org> wrote:
> I was a bit surprised not to see any replies to this.  Is this topic better
> suited to a different list?

Generally speaking:

a) We're happy for you to do anything that means more people can read our sites;

but

b) we don't want to provide ways for people to evade blocks on
*editing* our sites.

[for A, it may be worth remembering our position on people blocking
access to read Wikipedia is "they're mistaken, because we are fair,
neutral, apolitical, and encyclopedic, and we're sure they'll come
round eventually, so until then we will just engage in masterly
inactivity rather than actively fighting it". But passive subversion -
our undocumented little "you can use secure.wikimedia.org" feature,
say - is fine :-)]

That's the basic state of play. I'm not really sure about the rest,
how we could best help you and vice versa.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk