[WikiEN-l] Article Rescue Squadron: Combat medics urgently needed

Guy Chapman aka JzG guy.chapman at spamcop.net
Sun Jul 15 11:42:21 UTC 2007

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 19:33:10 -0700, "K P" <kpbotany at gmail.com> wrote:

>I agree with the expedited cleanup.  Sometimes there is
>dreadful crap that really needs to get off Wikipedia ASAP.  Just
>because someone contests a PROD doesn't mean pure crap should be
>granted a 1 week reprieve, like that moron who decided to write a
>piece of crap article about beach chic to honor his bride (God help
>her), then contested the prod so the piece of crap would stay up for
>the week of his wedding.

Ugh.  And in the past we have had issues when we speedy such crap and
get oddballs calling it an "out of process deletion" at DRV.  But
let's not get started on that route, I think we are broadly in
agreement that what is needed is a funnel of some sort, that
problematic articles get fed in, and which then triages them into
unambiguous crap for nuking, unambiguously good subjects for keeping,
and the stuff in the middle that needs something between a complete
rewrite and a bit of extra sourcing.

>As much of an inclusionist as I am, compared to Guy certainly, there
>really is a lot of crap that gets a one week free ride, that I
>wouldn't mind seeing reduced to a 2 day free ride.

We are all inclusionists, otherwise we would not be here in the first
place.  The difference is just where we place the bar for inclusion -
or perhaps our view of what constitutes an encyclopaedia or an
encyclopaedic subject.

There is too much strife at present, and I don't know why.  I suspect
that the recent backlash against "tabloid" stuff is partly to blame,
but I don't really know.

What I have noticed is that there are more people out there who are
prepared to bolster trolls and shout from the sidelines.  Maybe that's
just the disputes I get involved in, but it does appear to me that
there are more, and more aggressive, POV-pushers and trolls these
days.  Yes, my personal experience does inform this, I currently have
a problem with some utterly baffling "overturn" advocates on a
deletion review for a laundry list of grudges against me by an editor
with fewer than 100 mainspace edits; the grudge list sat unedited in
his user space for nearly six months, and no RfC is ever likely to be
brought because his complaint is clearly and unequivocally baseless,
but the troll-enablers are out in force.  Which goes to reinforce my
current disaffection with the whole project.

Guy (JzG)
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:JzG