[WikiEN-l] listcruft

John Vandenberg jayvdb at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 07:44:40 UTC 2007

On 7/14/07, Ben Yates <ben.louis.yates at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't want to delete them, but a lot of them get deleted.  Like -- a
> lot.  If I go back through my blog archives and click on the "list of"
> entries, a fair portion have already been deleted.  And that sample
> contains only those lists that I thought were awesome.

You can see a sample of recent list deletions using the deletion
sorting list called "Lists"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Deletion_sorting/Lists

Which type of lists have you seen disappear?  Recently there has been
a lot of "Lists of songs about ...." deletions.  Personally I have no
love for lists about songs, but it seems like a lot of effort is being
flushed down the tube.

> It would be
> nice if it was a convention to transwiki them rather than delete them
> -- at least then there's the potential to still view them (and maybe
> move them back someday if the political winds change).
>
> Somewhat offtopic -- it would be cool if, in a few years, wikipedia
> was the tip of a churning iceberg of content: which is to say, it
> would nice if there was a multitiered system whereby very little gets
> deleted outright, and most stuff gets moved elsewhere.  This type of
> system would fuel much greater public participation (decrease
> friction, if you want to get overly abstract).

I recently saw a discussion that was suggesting setting up an
incubator.wikia.com where any wikimedia content could be transwiki'ed
to; that wikia site would then work out what to do with the incoming
articles.  Sadly, I cant recall where I saw this; maybe I was only
dreaming.

--
John