[WikiEN-l] Article Rescue Squadron: Combat medics urgently needed

Ben Yates ben.louis.yates at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 02:49:19 UTC 2007

It's not assuming the AfD regulars are stupid.  It's acknowledging
that reality that the subculture that hangs out at AfD is probably not
representative.  It's urging people who don't ordinarily look at AfD
to do so.  I hadn't looked at in years.  Sunlight is the best
disinfectant.

AfD is not, in and of itself, the most interesting place to hang out,
unless you view it as vitally important to the project.  If you do
view it as super-important, you're more likely to vote for deletions
-- the demographics get skewed.

On 7/13/07, Steven Walling <steven.walling at gmail.com> wrote:
> "Unfortunately this is not always the case. AfD nominators are not
> perfect and are sometimes operating at least partly in ignorance about
> the subject of the article."
>
> So in other words, in urgin people to check every AFD,  the project assumes
> good faith and poor judgement, intelligence (or both) on the part of all
> nominators. that's even better.
> On 7/13/07, Bryan Derksen <bryan.derksen at shaw.ca> wrote:
>
> > Steven Walling wrote:
> > > Articles are not "uncontroversially encyclopedic" when they being
> > brought up
> > > for deletion because of their lack of encyclopedic content or nature.
> >
> > Unfortunately this is not always the case. AfD nominators are not
> > perfect and are sometimes operating at least partly in ignorance about
> > the subject of the article.

> > > taskforce improving articles that don't have an AFD nomination would be
> > more
> > > in line with your flawed vision of what the project constitutes.
> >
> > That's what the rest of Wikipedia is already working on. Also, why are
> > you so sure that it's Phil's vision of the project that's flawed? Last I
> > checked there were only four edits on the project's page, it's still
> > quite nebulous and open to interpretation.
> >
> > > But when
> > > the project extensively mentions comabting what they see as unnecessary
> > > deletions in its intro and includes a direct link to AFD, then it's not
> > > resource for improving articles that need help the most, but a project
> > for
> > > making sure borderline articles get kept. That's inclusioism.
> >
> > Not all AfDs result in delete, some result in keep. This alone should
> > indicate that not all nominations are "necessary." And besides, whether
> > an article is "borderline" or not is itself a subject that can often be
> > debated.

Ben Yates
Wikipedia blog - http://wikip.blogspot.com