[WikiEN-l] The Register decries Wikipedia's "censorship" via OTRS

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 17:24:02 UTC 2007

On 11/07/07, Zoney <zoney.ie at gmail.com> wrote:

> Wikipedia is a work-in-progress, but really if it's supposed to be an
> encyclopaedia, there shouldn't be public article content that's worse than
> an early 1990s website with "under construction" banners (editorial
> templates on articles?)

Aha. Here follows the crux.

"Wikipedia is an encyclopedia"

"Wikipedia is a project to write an encyclopedia"

We started off the latter; at some point, people started assuming the
former. If you stick to the latter, then half-written drafts and pages
with "needs cleanup" or "check this Tuesday" become a lot more
understandable. We're a work in progress that lets people read the
current draft, not a constantly updating work.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk