[WikiEN-l] Fair use issues; we need serious help

cohesion cohesion at sleepyhead.org
Fri Jul 13 03:31:57 UTC 2007

On 7/12/07, John Vandenberg <jayvdb at gmail.com> wrote:
> Are there any "new image patrol" tools?  [[Wikipedia:Job_Center]]
> mentions it but I cant find more details.

It depends on which of the many image problems that you would like to
work on. If you just want to help new uploaders, [[Category:Images
needing editor assistance at upload]] are images from uploaders that
have self-identified as needing help. If they don't self-identify AND
they are tagged incorrectly it is exceedingly difficult to find
problems manually. For those types we mainly rely on various bot
checks, some people like to also brute force very problematic
categories.

> Is there a maintained list of recently uploaded images that need a
> rationale added?  If so, humans could tackle the cause of the problem
> rather than bots trying to fix it six months later.

Well, we don't really have a way of programatically saying if
something needs a rationale, so things needing a rationale are tagged
by humans, not in order of upload. I'm sure you know about
[[Category:Images with no fair use rationale]], which need rationales.

> Is there a way to generate a list of all images that a user has
> uploaded?  I expect that most people are begrudgingly fixing an image
> as the bot picks them out; it would be more efficient to give users a
> way to find and fix them all.

There is the upload log? The bots pick out problems at a rate of i
dunno, many per minute, it's not a every once in a while type of
situation. Do you mean individuals that are problem uploaders fixing
their own problems? That happens sometimes I guess. If an uploader
becomes an obvious problem people will look at their upload log and
see other images that might also be problematic.

> Another approach could be to use something like SuggestBot to hand a
> dozen cases to each human that has chosen to work on the problem.

We don't have a shortage of images to work on [[Category:Images with
no copyright tag]] or the two other categories mentioned before could
be worked on by anyone admin or not.

Judson
[[:en:User:Cohesion]]