[WikiEN-l] WikiProjects - Your thoughts

K P kpbotany at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 02:15:30 UTC 2007

On 7/12/07, Mister Hand <misterhand2000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have seen editors post on the talk page along the lines "I'm not a member
> of the WikiProject, so I'm not sure if I'm allowed to edit this article" and
> then they suggest an edit. And no, I don't have an example off the top of my
> head.
>
> It just seems to be that there are several projects that are more concerned
> with tagging every article that they [[WP:OWN]] then they are with actually
> editing them.
>
> On 7/12/07, Matthew Brown <morven at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 7/12/07, Mister Hand <misterhand2000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > If the purpose of WikiProjects is to scare off new editors by tagging
> > the
> > > talk pages of articles, then I think they've succeeded admirably.
> >
> > Any chance that you have any evidence this actually happens?
> >
> > -Matt

I've never seen that on a plants article.  I'll have to ask the other
plants folks if they've seen it.  I've never even heard of it until
this instance.

We do get newbies who click on the link and ask questions about plants
on the WP Plants talk page.  We've had a couple of posters who asked
questions about animals on WP Plants, because they found our banner.
Plants don't take animals for granted, they can't.

KP