[WikiEN-l] Fair use issues; we need serious help

John Vandenberg jayvdb at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 01:15:38 UTC 2007

On 7/13/07, Todd Allen <toddmallen at gmail.com> wrote:
> James Farrar wrote:
> > On 12/07/07, WikipediaEditor Durin <wikidurin at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> As an example of the kinds of problems we face, have a look at
> >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Korea_Girl.jpg
> >>
> >> Note the fair use rationale on this image. The uploader of this
> >> image believes this is sufficient.
> >>

> > Evidently, so did the person who created the template {{Non-free album
> > cover}}... and everyone who hasn't since deleted it...
> >
> Boilerplate template != fair-use rationale.

The point is that the average uploader is not aware of the problem.
As the upload form allows the user to proceed with only "{{Non-free
album cover}}", it seems the fair-use crew are fighting a loosing
battle.

Any effort to address fair use images needs to work with the average
uploader to ensure that a fair use is provided soon after the point of
upload.  Hand-holding is definitely required; I have thrown my hands
up in disgust trying to find the correct fair-use rationale template
and how to use it successfully, so I feel sorry for Wikipedians who
are not armed with a computing background to combat the dreaded
fair-use bots.

Are there any "new image patrol" tools?  [[Wikipedia:Job_Center]]
mentions it but I cant find more details.

Is there a maintained list of recently uploaded images that need a
rationale added?  If so, humans could tackle the cause of the problem
rather than bots trying to fix it six months later.

Is there a way to generate a list of all images that a user has
uploaded?  I expect that most people are begrudgingly fixing an image
as the bot picks them out; it would be more efficient to give users a
way to find and fix them all.

Another approach could be to use something like SuggestBot to hand a
dozen cases to each human that has chosen to work on the problem.

--
John