[WikiEN-l] Ref./Sources Tags

K P kpbotany at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 21:23:03 UTC 2007

On 7/12/07, Marc Riddell <michaeldavid86 at comcast.net> wrote:

> > On 12/07/07, Mak <makwik at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Be bold in removing cleanup tags! If the article is cleaned up, it no longer
> >> needs the tag. If the person who placed it disagrees with your removal, they
> >> can replace it. Administrators should not have extra editorial rights, so it
> >> makes no sense to wait for one to remove a cleanup tag.
> >
> on 7/12/07 4:46 PM, David Gerard at dgerard at gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > Yep. Admins tend to be experienced editors, but the two are not
> > synonymous - "administrator" is a janitorial post, not an editorial
> > one.
> >

> > - d.
>
> Thanks, David. But what about a case where I add some information to a
> fairly large Article that contains the "unreferenced" tag, include the
> source of the information I added, but the remainder of the Article may
> contain other material that is unsourced?
>
> Marc

Just make a judge ment call.  Sometimes the tag is there because there
is tons of unreferenced material in the article--science articles need
a lot of references, and having multiple paragraphs unreferenced can
be problemaitc.  In which case I would leave the tag, unless I added a
major or primary source that referenced additional material in the
article, substantial and/or important material.

For botany, we generally don't put unreferenced tags if there's even
one source, and plant articles (unless it's a European herb) generally
require going to IPNI or a single literature search to get the
authority for the name.

I usually remove the unreferenced tag on smaller articles or stubs if
I add a single reference.

No one has complained about my removing tags.  People do complain
about my tagging things, though.  Some of the aircraft folks thing
tags on articles are attacks on their persons, even when the article
is essentially a copy of the sales brochure for the plane.  I think
tags are alerts to the reader of the article that you need to be more
careful than usual obtaining material from an article.  I think they
need to stay put until the article is safe from warnings.  You'll find
out when you remove it if you have one of me watching the article.

KP