[WikiEN-l] Fair use issues; we need serious help

WikipediaEditor Durin wikidurin at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 18:37:58 UTC 2007

> Erm, my response wasn't intended to be an attack on you in the least;
> I apologize if it came across that way.

Maybe I'm on edge today, but it came off that way. When you come
under as much onslaught as I do on a regular day-to-day basis in
dealing with this stuff, it's all too easy to read stuff as an attack.

> The point I'm trying to make in regard to the rationales is that what
> you're asking for is not actually what you want, and the difference is
> *really* upsetting people.
>
> We need to stop talking about "fair use" images, stop labeling things
> as "fair use", and stop asking people to justify "fair use".  We do
> not, as a project, care about "fair use", except insofar as it
> underlies what we *do* care about: the NFCC (which are rather stricter
> than what's ordinarily regarded as "fair use").
>
> You're essentially going around and asking people to explain why an
> image is fair use, and then deleting it anyways because it fails the
> stricter portions of the NFCC.  I don't understand why anyone is
> surprised that this is causing intense resentment; the image uploaders
> are being sent on a wild goose chase because the widely publicized
> requirement for their images to be retained -- "fair use" -- is
> insufficient, and the *actual* requirement -- the NFCC -- is poorly
> written and buried under ten layers of policy.
>
> Asking the Foundation for clearer criteria isn't the answer.  We
> already have clear criteria.  We just need to start actually
> publicizing *those* criteria rather than a liberal buzz-word version
> of them.

I don't have the skill to fix the situation. I'm asking for help.
You seem qualified. So help. :)

-Durin