[WikiEN-l] Fair use issues; we need serious help

Stan Shebs stanshebs at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 12 13:23:55 UTC 2007

WikipediaEditor Durin wrote:
> Bottom line here; the Foundation has mandated that we come into
> compliance by Spring of '08.
... with an EDP developed by en: people. The en: EDP could easily say
"anything remotely like USian fair use is OK", and you're done. Any
deadline panic is of your own making, it's not coming from the Foundation.
> How many times do we have to debate these issues? How much
> energy do we have to exert? How often do we have to end up in
> RfCs, mediations and RfRs (all of these have happened, some of
> them multiple times) over this issue?

You could learn to pick your battles a little better. When a militant
uses a bot to flag one of my old uploads for deletion in seven days,
because my fair use rationale isn't at least 3,000 words long and
written in grammatically elegant Latin or whatever the goalpost happens
to be that day, I lose interest in helping out. I've fixed up thousands
of fair-use images in the past, I don't need to be lectured about the
concept by some noob.

Stan