[WikiEN-l] WikiProjects - Your thoughts

C.J. Croy cjcroy at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 06:14:40 UTC 2007

On 7/11/07, Giggy <g1ggyman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, you see the occasional note about the future of WikiProjects being
> short because they just don't work...well, I see a fair few of these
> messages, as I do a good deal of project work.  So what do others think of
> the future?  Will WikiProjects still be around and kicking in...say...6
> months?

Wikiprojects will continue to exist as long as Wikipedia exists, even
though most of them are good for nothing but keeping articles that
outsiders don't understand the importance of.  Most are simply so
broad they're useless(Example: Texas).  A few really broad ones manage
to succeed in spite of themselves(Example: Biography).  The most
productive and useful ones tend to be small and focused, the canonical
example being [[WP:KLF]].  I wouldn't mind if most of them were
deleted or put in their place; I really like being able to click on a
discussion link and have it contain actual discussion.

-Chris Croy