[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia screenshots

Nick heligolandwp at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 11 23:21:44 UTC 2007

The Wikipedia logo can be removed in any image manipulation software, such
as GIMP or Photoshop. If the screenshot is taken from an open source
operating system and browser combination and includes only text and or text
and images licenced under a free licence, then you've got a truely free
screenshot.

If you use a closed source operating system, such as Windows or MacOS,
certain elements of the GUI that are included make the image a derivative
and would fall under the copyright auspices of the relevant companies, such
as Microsoft or Apple. Anything with a Java GUI in it, regardless of
platform falls under Sun's copyright.

Hope this helps,
Nick

> On 7/9/07, BlastOButter42 <BlastOButter42 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi. I was under the impression that screenshots of Wikipedia pages,
> despite
> > having the Wikipedia logo in them, were under a free license and did not
> > have to have a fair-use rationale or pass any other fair use criteria to
> be
> > uploaded to Wikipedia. Am I right?
>
> They are not under a free licence if they include the logo. Scrolling
> down removes the logo.
>

> --
> geni

Nick