[WikiEN-l] The Register decries Wikipedia's "censorship" via OTRS

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Mon Jul 9 08:59:37 UTC 2007

G'day Steven,

> After reading all of this, I only have one question left...is the Register
> ever considered a reliable source per WP:Notability? Is there some way we
> can list it as being unsuitable for referencing?

/The Register/ is a tabloid.  It's trashy, chatty, often interesting[0],
sometimes relevant, frequently inaccurate.  So is /The Daily Telegraph/.
  So is /The New York Post/.  So is /The Daily Mail/.

For our purposes, the only major difference between /The Register/ and,
say, /The Herald Sun/ is that the Reg had the temerity to make mistakes
in an article about Wikipedia[1], instead of in every other article.

I wouldn't trust it, but then I wouldn't trust most tabloids.  And there
are those who say the same about Wikipedia.  Takes all kinds.

[0] "I only read it for the BOFH."

[1] Oh, and it publishes Andrew Orlowski.  Hmm, there's a point.

--
Mark Gallagher
"'Yes, sir,' said Jeeves in a low, cold voice, as if he had been bitten