[WikiEN-l] Schools again

John Vandenberg jayvdb at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 04:22:46 UTC 2007

On 7/9/07, George Herbert <george.herbert at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/8/07, Guy Chapman aka JzG <guy.chapman at spamcop.net> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 18:02:28 -0600, "C.J. Croy" <cjcroy at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >The current status quo evolved from deletionists going on rampages and
> > >indiscriminately purging school articles.
> >
> > And there was I thinking it resulted from militant inclusionists
> > stating as an article of faith that "all schools are inherently
> > notable" and refusing to accept any compromise whatsoever.  Shows what
> > I know.
>
> As one of the inclusionists willing to compromise on this issue, I
> object to that.  There were plenty enough people in the middle for a
> compromise to work.  The rhetoric from the extremist-seeming
> deletionists sunk the various compromise attempts time and time again.
>
> We'd have long-had a standard that if you can't write a good article,
> you merge it into a city/town/school district article by now if you
> all hadn't polarized it so much.  That compromise came under far more
> attack from the deletionists than the inclusionists.

And if that was accepted, there would be no need for an Afd for any
school, yet every day we see them being nominated, deleted without
consensus, and often without redirects being put in place.

Often what is meant by people saying "all schools are notable" is that
schools are inherently a topic worth mentioning in an encyclopedia.
When that opinion placed on an Afd, closing admins discard it time and
time again.

--
John