[WikiEN-l] The Register decries Wikipedia's "censorship" via OTRS

John Lee johnleemk at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 02:40:20 UTC 2007

On 7/9/07, Steven Walling <steven.walling at gmail.com> wrote:

> Haha! the BBC prints patent lies, or completely fabricates quotes? I don't
> think so.

Didn't somebody post to the list not too long ago an interesting piece on
how the BBC frequently distorts science stories?

Moral of the story: Never assume a source is right. Just attribute the claim
to the source and let the reader decide for themselves. That's how
[[WP:NPOV]] works.

Oh yeah, and as others have said, The Register is actually quite good for
technical stuff - their reports on computing are often quite good. I don't
see why we should issue a blanket ban on particular sources just because
they have proven to be wrong on a number of occasions. In such an event,
their reputation should precede them - and we should trust our readers to
know better than to trust a claim printed in, say, the BBC website, over a
counter-claim published in the Lancet.

Johnleemk