[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia:Fringe noticeboards/Theory

Charlotte Webb charlottethewebb at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 06:20:46 UTC 2007

Just when I thought the English Wikipedia had enough noticeboards, I
happened to see this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Fringe_theories/Noticeboard

I have to say I'm not optimistic about it. Looks like it could turn
into the recruiting point for every content dispute slash witch hunt
of the week.

I don't think it's very ethical, and definitely not in the project's
interests to invite others to jump into edit wars involving events
they know next to nothing about, particularly if it's something they
had never heard of until ten minutes before they reverted back to some
government's official explanation of it.

I'm not saying that doesn't happen already, but I doubt making it
"part of the job" as an official wiki-process is going to help
matters. Surely there are editors in good standing (and maybe even
some admins) who really don't care who shot JFK or what happened that
night in 1947. Just like there will be others like myself who, as
readers, would prefer to learn about all the viewpoints and draw their
own conclusions.

We should respect that, rather than pointing the "closet conspiracy
theorist" finger around, if this is actually going to work.

The question should not be "lol, you mean you actually believe
_____?", but more like "Is there a compelling reason not to
acknowledge that many people do believe _____?".

Last warning though, if I see something like "How do you feel about
WP:FRINGE theories, and will you <s>help patrol the following
articles</s> assist us at WP:FTN if we support your RFA?" become a one
of the 20 non-standard standard questions I will seriously cut myself.

—C.W.