[WikiEN-l] FredBauder"clarifies"onattackkk site link policy

Fred Bauder fredbaud at waterwiki.info
Thu Jul 5 21:12:01 UTC 2007

The link works now

http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?s=ef3096386ce262da3f7f46267ff4e783&showtopic=2778&st=0&p=20396&#entry20396

It appears to be an exercise in outing a Wikipedia editor. It turned out to be a pretty productive outing, but the fact remains that's what it was.

It is not as obnoxious in hindsight as it was when posted, as the matter of Essjay contains important lessons. I can remember when he showed up wondering where he came from. Then when I read his biography it seemed to make sense. So I accepted him, when it would have been better if none of us had.

The problem is that for every hit they make WR has 10 false positives that they are busy investigating. Ferreting out the identity of our anonymous editors and administrators is not helpful to use or our productive users.

The welfare of our productive users and administrators, our workers, is far more important than accommodating our critics. We should do what we can to protect them from harassment both on and off wiki, especially by sites devoted to harassment.

Fred