[WikiEN-l] Fred Bauder"clarifies"on attack site link policy

Rich Holton richholton at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 03:24:26 UTC 2007

jayjg wrote:
> On 7/4/07, James Farrar <james.farrar at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 05/07/07, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at waterwiki.info> wrote:
>>> Wikipedia is goingto be a safe and pleasant place for people to work. We will respect ourusers and do what we can to protect them from harassment.
>> Yes, we got that the first time...
>
> It bears repeating.

Please do repeat it jay. I agree with the sentiment. I don't know of
anyone here who disagrees.

Where the disagreement lies is on the steps needed to make it a safe and
pleasant place to work.

Banning all anonymous edits may well make it a safer and more pleasant
place to work, but we do not take that step. No, I'm not using a
strawman here; I'm just demonstrating that there are a range of possible
actions to address the issue. Not all are good.

The point under discussion is whether a blanket ban of certain sites is
a good step to take.