[WikiEN-l] Schools again

Brian Salter-Duke b_duke at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jul 2 21:47:43 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jul 02, 2007 at 02:34:58PM -0400, Anthony wrote:
> On 7/2/07, Philippe Beaudette <philippebeaudette at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Could we, once and for all (or at least until the wind changes) make a determination on
> > whether such school should be included in the 'pedia?
>
> Doubtful.
>
> > Or, if not a determination, at least a very strong suggestion?
> >
> "A topic is presumed to be notable if it has received significant
> coverage in reliable sources that are independent of the subject."
> "This page is considered a notability guideline on Wikipedia. It is
> generally accepted among editors and is considered a standard that all
> users should follow. However, it is not set in stone and should be
> treated with common sense and the occasional exception."
>
> Drop the "significant" part, and that's a pretty objective guideline.

The problem is that it is not objective. The terms "reliable" and
"independent" are subjective. This is particualrly important for
schools, because they all get a mention in local papers, local govenment
reports etc. Also you can not remove "significant" as using the
notability guideline, we need need something to reject passing mentions
to a School in an  article in a local paper about someone winning a
minor prize.

My own take on this is that High Schools are notable enough to have an
article, but we only write an article if we have what we consider to be
good sources. At the first sign of trouble, such as attacks on staff we
semiprotect as we would with BLP. We should encourage WPs to put local
schools on their watch list.

Brian.