[WikiEN-l] FredBauder"clarifies"onattackkkkk site link policy

Slim Virgin slimvirgin at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 21:54:51 UTC 2007

On 7/2/07, James Farrar <james.farrar at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/07/07, jayjg <jayjg99 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Yes, it was appropriate. The MONGO case was quite clear when we voted
> > on it, and the vote was unanimous:
> >
> > "A website that engages in the practice of publishing private
> > information concerning the identities of Wikipedia participants will
> > be regarded as an attack site whose pages should not be linked to from
> > Wikipedia pages under any circumstances."
>
> OK, so we not cannot link to the New York Times, after its recent
> magazine article.

I wish people would stop these hyperbolic slippery slopes. The NYT has
not "outed" any Wikipedia editor. The only sites that shouldn't be
linked to are those that make a *habit* of outing people, and the only
people who are warned they might be blocked (or who are blocked) are
the ones doing it deliberately and disruptively, as in "Oh, is THIS
one of the naughty ones?" And "Ooooh, what about this? Aren't I
awful?"