[WikiEN-l] Attack Site Wars, Episode VII... The Return of the Essjay

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sun Jul 1 22:46:01 UTC 2007

On 7/1/07, White Cat <wikipedia.kawaii.neko at gmail.com> wrote:
> I do not understand this overindulgence with the details. The point is Anna
> Nicole Smith was given more coverage than it was worth by FAR.

Depends on how you're measuring "worth", I'd say.

> That is why
> the amount of News coverage is not parallel with notability. They may be
> parallel but that is not the rule.

I don't think the concept of "notability" fits well on a sliding
scale, and to the limited extent it does, yes, amount of news coverage
doesn't parallel it.

I more think in terms of "notable enough" or "not notable enough", and
something which has received ongoing news coverage for an extended
period of time generally falls under "notable enough".

> I would appreciate if you focused on the "spirit" of the rationale rather
> than every minor detail. Examples I use are merely for illustration and not
> intended to be encyclopedic. :P

Sorry.  The example you gave just seemed to be so patently untrue.  At
first I ignored the example, and someone else pointed out that it was
probably false, then you repeated it, and I mentioned that it seemed
false, and then you repeated it again and we got into this discussion.