[WikiEN-l] FredBauder"clarifies"onattack site link policy

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Sun Jul 1 19:12:14 UTC 2007

On 1 Jul 2007 at 16:32:39 +0000, wikien-l-request at lists.wikime wrote:

> See
>
> Wikipedia:Requests for arbitration/MONGO/Workshop
>
> and the other pages associated with that arbitration.

...which actually impose a ban on linking to Encyclopedia Dramatica,
not Wikipedia Review, which is the site in question in the latest
incident.

But referring to that arbitration workshop page just underscores the
idea that it's bad for ArbCom to be making policy, which is exactly
what it's doing when it does things like imposing sweeping bans on
linking to sites, regardless of the word-lawyering you may be doing
to claim that it isn't making policy.  The arbitration workshop page
was frequented by a fairly small group of people -- the combatants in
the current case (some ED partisans vs. some editors/admins that had
been targeted for attack on that site) along with the handful of
policy wonks who pay close attention to all ArbCom cases and other
such administrivia.  It can hardly be considered to be representative
of the Wikipedia community as a whole, of which one is supposed to
have a consensus when setting policy.  I see that the part on not
linking to "attack sites" got hardly any discussion or debate on that
page, with just a handful of comments including your own curt "Game
Over" against somebody wanting less absolutism.  Some other things on
the page got a greater deal of debate (the "solidarity" part, where
admins were expected to close ranks in an us-vs-them manner against
anybody deemed to be "attacking" one of "us", got some expressions of
concern for over-broadness and slippery-slope dangerousness, but
these were dismissed with "if you're not with us, you're with the
terrorists" rhetoric).

To treat anything emerging from this as binding policy enforceable
against anybody other than the direct parties to the particular case
is letting a small handful of people impose policy on a greater
community unaware that this is even happening until it's too late,
after which everybody gets told to "shut up and follow the binding
decision".

I know that I was unaware of what was going on in that ArbCom
decision at the time it was being made; like the vast majority of
editors, I was busy improving the encyclopedia, not concerning myself
with silly flame-wars between people on an external site I was not
interested in and editors on Wikipedia I was not dealing directly
with at the time.  If I'd known that it was being used as an entering
wedge to impose sweeping rules on all of us, I'd certainly have
raised objections at the time.

--
== Dan ==