No subject

Sun Jan 7 16:43:09 UTC 2007

in high school who can't even spell when I provide higher-level concepts  on
a subject that I have had a major interest, something's very wrong.
Moreover, I people use the ad hominems on me, but I get the extension to the  block,
and I've been reading Wikipedia for years, started the editing account in  late
'05, even began articles such as the GuideStar article.  Am I in COI  because
I began the GuideStar article but also was a major founder of a  nonprofit?
No, but I'm in COI because I talk knowledgeably about a  subject.  The
article's ruined right now.

>I understand you're saying that with people of sufficient honor, we  can
>hopefully get away with it. It's plausible to me, but I can't see  any
>clear revision to the COI guidelines that will keep only the  honorable
>people doing this, and -- just as important -- keep them from  being
>eventually corrupted. We don't have the mechanisms to enforce  honesty
>that a major research institution does, and I don't think we'll  be able
>to afford to build them for a decade or more.

Well, Wikipedia's gotten a good deal of public support.   Now  it's coming at
me not only with anarchy, my complaint from before, but  totalitarianism.
LOL!

<snip>

>>> I'd be intrigued to read more about this, but my  guess is that it would
>>> require several conditions for it to  work:
>>>
>>>    1. The company would have to  have a clear and special interest in
>>>        being seeing as completely forthright.
>>>    2. The  historian would have to be somebody with an established
>>>   reputation and solid credentials.
>>>   3. The historian would do a relatively small amount of work for  the
>>>       commissioning party. (E.g., they  would not be a staff historian.)
>>>    4. The historian  would not primarily do commissioned work.
>>>

>> The last three at least seem to be the case here---an  established and
>> well-respected contributor is asking if writing the  occasional article
>> for a paid commissioner would be okay.  I  think the first is actually
>> better to avoid having to decide, since  the motives of companies are
>> rather difficult to discern---so long  as the writer is not a staff
>> historian, and doesn't do this as  their main living, then whether the
>> company is interested in  forthrightness or not matters little.
>>

>No  slight intended to Jaap or any of our contributors but I don't think
>the  comparison is even close. A professional historian with an
>established  reputation and solid credentials has put, what, two decades
>into getting  there? And getting caught distorting the truth means they
>throw that and  their professional future away. Even our very best
>editors don't have  anything like that on the line. For those who are
>pseudonymous, there is  even less penalty for ethical missteps.
>Historians are human too.  I've had problems with them before, but  I still
end up with Bs in college history, >not higher, not lower.  I'm  planning to
I've studied it, along with the Civil War, since I was a  kid.

Why, there's complaint about the article on  the American  Civil War being
"long," and it bothers me.  There's not even a  definition of "First Defender" I
can find yet.

What about pseudonyms when you reveal your real name on your user page  then?
 I use that of my grandfather, John Wallace Rich, for example,  who was KIA
in World War II.

>And those historians work in a field where academic norms of
>intellectual independence and honesty have been built up over centuries,
>with detection and enforcement mechanisms to match. Not to mention years
>of training in research and writing for every person involved. We aren't
>even close to having that kind of infrastructure.

As far as I'm concerned, there's too much of a lack of ethics in school as
well.  I've seen it firsthand, and though I've only read half of _The  Closing
of the American Mind_, I still think we need more checks and  balances.

>As to item 1, again it comes back to conflict of interest. If Intel  pays
>some professional technology journalist to expand our computer  science
>articles, more power to them, as I don't see them as having an  interest
>in distorting them. But as soon as they want changes to  anything where
>there is a conflict of interest, we should say no.

Yes, but then you see the slippery slope.  Something's wrong here, and  I
think it's selfishness somewhat.  Moreover, I've seen problems with  Wikipedia
for a long time.  People troll articles, and provide sleeping-dog  information.
I can see them yawn in their pajamas on the last Monday in  May.  LOL!

What about the truth for the readers besides just  writing for them?  I don't
think writing for Nazis in 1941 would have been  a good approach.

Vincent

AOL  at _AOL.com_
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/1615326657x4311227241x4298082137/aol?redir=http://www.aol.com) .
http://www.aol.com.