[WikiEN-l] A quiet revolution

Luna lunasantin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 23:08:34 UTC 2007

On 1/31/07, Guy Chapman aka JzG <guy.chapman at spamcop.net> wrote:

> It has been discovered that the new system of cascading protection
> (which protects any element transcluded in a page protected with the
> cascade bit turned on) allows us to transclude and thus protect a
> non-existent article.

I saw a mention of this -- very interesting, not sure why it hadn't occurred
to me. I'm of the opinion that it may still sometimes be better to use
{{deletedpage}} (unless we have some way of very quickly explaining to
people how and why this cascading protection is being used to salt a given
article).

Has anyone set up a central page for this, yet? Since the actual
transclusion list would have to be admin-protected, it might be a good idea
to have a "policy page," which then transcludes the (admin-protected) list
of deleted pages. Sort of the reverse of our usual "protected template with
unprotected documentation subpage" structure.

-Luna