[WikiEN-l] We really need to avoid the next Microsoft-Wikipedia bad publicity storm

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Wed Jan 31 11:45:36 UTC 2007

 "David Gerard" wrote

> Another bad publicity storm such as happened last week to Microsoft is
> absolutely not in Wikipedia or Wikimedia's interests. We don't want to
> make organisations fearful of coming near us.

OK. How long is it going to take before self-styled "press officers" actually inform themselves _properly_ about WP?

I mean, the teaboy in the PR room is going to be given the job of actually editing the site. But people who are _employed_ to know about PR should be _professional_ in their approach. Not assume that 'free to edit' is 'free PR'; that's an entirely amateur view, that it costs nothing and never can have any downside or fallout.

Charles