[WikiEN-l] Consensus vs "groupthink"

SonOfYoungwood at aol.com SonOfYoungwood at aol.com
Tue Jan 30 20:15:05 UTC 2007

In a message dated 1/29/2007 8:28:34 AM Central Standard Time,
guy.chapman at spamcop.net writes:

>Seeing how a few detractors here have been throwing around the  term
>"groupthink" I have to ask, is there any real difference between  the
>two or does it depend on which side of a "consensus" decision you  are
>on? That is, if an article you wrote/are involved with survives  AFD,
>then it's "consensus", if it gets deleted, it's "groupthink".  Of
>course it's the other way around if it's an article you don't  like.

Consensus is where people discuss and agree on something, usually  after
hearing all options. Consensus is often modified. On the other hand,  groupthink
is where people shut themselves off from minority ideas or  ammendments,
because they believe everything is already "just fine". In other  words: consensus
means constantly being open to new discussions and change,  whereas groupthink
shuts the valve for new ideas. And if you don't comply to  groupthink, you are
shut out instead of looked on respectfully.

Most companies fail because of groupthink.

| Tyler | Zorin Deckiller |
| Wikipedia Administrator |  Former SWU member |
| _http://www.myspace.com/redsectora_ (http://www.myspace.com/redsectora)   |