[WikiEN-l] Consensus vs "groupthink"

Ron Ritzman ritzman at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 01:28:10 UTC 2007

On 1/28/07, Rich Holton <richholton at gmail.com> wrote:

> For instance, calling someone a "troll" for (even very persistently)
> disagreeing is a step in the direction of groupthink.

I would agree if it were a regular poster but if someone pops up out
of nowhere and starts opposing the group on one or more issues, then
there is a good chance that person is a "troll". A real honest
detractor will agree with the group on some issues and disagree on
others.

That's the way I saw it on usenet. An honest detractor would have a
non-troll posting history in the group in question or at least in
other groups. A troll drops out of the sky and starts flaming people.