[WikiEN-l] An obscene example of remote loading

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Mon Jan 29 13:48:25 UTC 2007

William Pietri wrote:
> Say, are there examples of people who do this well, contributing back to
> Wikipedia or to the general public? The examples I've seen are all a bit
> disappointing, but perhaps that's just because the outrageous ones
> generate more attention.

Answers.com is an excellent example.  They license Wikipedia content and
also license content from many other more traditional sources, and offer
it up to people who search on their site.  They have always been a
strong supporter of Wikimedia and have been traditionally the #1 sponsor
of the annual Wikimania conference.

So they benefit from our work, and they give back to the community as well.

--Jimbo