[WikiEN-l] Google Groups Suggestion

Oskar Sigvardsson oskarsigvardsson at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 03:52:25 UTC 2007

On 1/28/07, George Drummond <georgedrummond at gmail.com> wrote:
> For novices i think it is difficult to read these mailing lists.
>
> I think that it would be an idea to have the mailing lists
> archived to google groups (which i believe is possible)
>
> If you are worried about the possibility of spam etc we could
> set the group to announce, so it is viewable on google groups
> but to reply users must sign up in usual way. It would then just
> be like a mirror of this groups messages but more easily viewed.
>
> Just a suggestion
>
> Thanks
>
> George

I don't know whether this is what you want, but there is a newsgroup
interface using gmane. The adress is
nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.science.linguistics.wikipedia.english

Google group is just essentially a web newsreader interface, but you
can use any newsreader you like (makes it very easy to see threads and
the like, it's much easier to use an actual application rather than
google groups). You can also do it through a web interface through
gmanes homepage
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.science.linguistics.wikipedia.english

See here for more information
http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.science.linguistics.wikipedia.english

There are some other options, but I've never tried any of them. You
can find more information at the wikipedia mailing list page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:ML

Personally, I love how this list works, especially using gmail. It
doesn't thread, but that isn't much of an issue. It works great for
me.

--Oskar