[WikiEN-l] An obscene example of remote loading

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 20:01:43 UTC 2007

On 28/01/07, William Pietri <william at scissor.com> wrote:
> Rob Church wrote:
> > Legitimate mirrors and people who want to reuse our content are free,
> > and encouraged, to download a database dump and process it for their
> > needs.
>
> Say, are there examples of people who do this well, contributing back to
> Wikipedia or to the general public? The examples I've seen are all a bit
> disappointing, but perhaps that's just because the outrageous ones
> generate more attention.

answers.com is perhaps our most high-profile reuser, but we have an
agreement with them for a live feed. I'm not offhand aware of a
particularly shining example of a database-dump site, partly because
we tend to outstrip them quite fast (and because enwiki dumps were
iffy for quite a while, meaning most of them are long-stagnant)

There are certainly some decent offline projects using dumps, though,
in one form or another.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk