[WikiEN-l] WikiEN-l Digest, Vol 42, Issue 226

Daniel P. B. Smith wikipedia2006 at dpbsmith.com
Sun Jan 28 18:59:26 UTC 2007

> From: Steve Summit <scs at eskimo.com>
> I'm reminded of another entity we love to hate: credit reporting
> agencies.  One of the reasons we (justifiably) love to hate them
> is that they provide little or no mechanism to challenge the
> information they hold about us.  Wikipedia should not be anything
> like a credit reporting agency.

???? It is only because of laws passed within the last ten years or
so, certainly no credit to the bureaus, but... just for the record...

...everyone is entitled to get one free report every year from
Equifax, Transunion, and Experian. (This has been true for at least
ten years in Massachusetts, and has been true nationally for a couple
of years).

I noticed a ludicrous error in one of them one year, found an online
correction form, filled it out, clicked "send" or whatever, and it
was fixed in the next report.