[WikiEN-l] An obscene example of remote loading

Mets501 mets501wiki at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 01:28:56 UTC 2007

> If it's remote loading, as in, pulling content from our servers live, then
we *can* stop it, and such mirrors should be reported to us on IRC in
#wikimedia-tech (on Freenode, as usual) or else reported to our mailing list
at wikitech-l at lists.wikimedia.org.

> Remote loading is not helpful for us; it creates a small amount of
additional, illegitimate load on our cache servers and it facilitates
but quite often, remote loading sites won't really care about the GFDL and
it becomes so.

> Legitimate mirrors and people who want to reuse our content are free, and
encouraged, to download a database dump and process it for their needs.
There is also an OAI live repository service, which I think we charge for
(and I don't know how many parties actually use it).

> If the licence our content is released under is violated, then individual
contributors to that content have a right to sue for copyright infringement;
Wikimedia doesn't actually *have* the copyright and so may not be able to do
the actual litigation (but I'm not a lawyer, hate lawyers, and am not
completely sure of that).

> Rob Church

I emailed info at Thagodz.com (which they say is their contact address) and
asked how they get the content.
--Mets501