[WikiEN-l] Nuke [[WP:CITE]] and [[WP:RS]]

SPUI drspui at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 18:50:34 UTC 2007

Steve Bennett wrote:
> It's more than just that. I recently wrote a stub on [[Wingan Inlet]].
> I know the place exists: I went there. Do I have a source? No. Am I
> confident that a source exists? Yes. Would I rather create an
> unsourced stub, or leave a hole in our encyclopaedia? Unsourced stub,
> with fries.

I think this says it well - if you have no reason to believe something
is false, and believe that it is verifiable (insert whatever definition
of verifiable/reliable source here), don't remove it. The second part is
to keep people from doing certain kinds of original research, generally
things that might be worth mentioning but are unlikely to have been
reported by other sources. This is probably a pretty thin line, and
maybe general editorial discretion would cover it, but it's always nice
to have something to cite for why you're removing someone's work.
Something like which station a transit company installed a new type of
turnstile at might fall in this area; it might be useful on the article
about that station (or even the fare collection section of the system's
article), but might be minor enough that it hadn't been mentioned in the
media.